I love taking the time to stop and remember what I did do, especially when it seems like I’ve done nothing. The world focuses on the “Big Time” successes. As a mom, and really as a simple person striving to follow Christ in small ways, it really is about the small seemingly insignificant things we do with the time we’re given.
Here are my three Small Successes to share from the week:
#1 — Folded and put clothes laundry away…four days post-washing. (I know this pales in comparison to the old pioneer women’s days.)
#2 — Exercised – I fell off my exercise routine – yet again! But today, I did it. I woke up – after hitting the snooze only one time this time – and did 10 minutes of core strengthening on the yoga mat. No promises for tomorrow but at least I did it today.
#3 — Reorganized the hall coat closet – yikes that place was a disaster. Whoever built our house didn’t properly think about how many people might live in it and therefore make the closet big enough to store everyone’s coats and gloves and all the other “stuff” the cold season brings. To make up for the lack of floor space, I brought one of the shelves from the boys’ room down for use as a boot shelf (like this one).
I also set our ‘winter things’ basket (like this one) on the shelf for easy access. While I was there, I went through the basket and discarded gloves/hats that either had lost their partners in warmth or didn’t fit anymore (My almost ten-year-old daughter probably doesn’t need her 2T hat and gloves anymore!) I tucked the matching gloves we did have into their respective hats and hopefully I can teach my kids to follow suit. (Hahahahahahaha! Good one, huh?) While doing this, I discovered where some of my old scarves had been hiding out! Now I can say I own more than one scarf for the season. (Though I still wouldn’t mind a few new ones since I love scarves.) I also put old bags and bookbags into a plastic box and set that on the top shelf.
It’s been fun joining up with the CatholicMom Small Successes and invite you to join along if you’d like! Even if you don’t participate, click over there to read her beautiful intro. I do miss doing my Thankful Thursdays so I’m going to combine the two here from time to time. This has been a rough week with the toddler. Like I quipped on my Facebook page – Never could I have imagined, until I had my own children, how much a toddler’s mood could significantly affect my day. And why is it that the one thing that finally makes him happy is something that he really shouldn’t play with? Anyway, so with that whine out of the way, it is very therapeutic to take time and think about the positive.
This week I’m Thankful for:
- Time to chat alone and uninterrupted with my husband who loves me more than I deserve.
- I’m thankful for him and his life, which we celebrated this week.
- All the help and support I receive from him and all our generous family and friends.
- Time alone with my daughter, our oldest who gets overshadowed by those who cry and scream louder.
- Playing tag and running around with my family in the yard last weekend (before the cold front came through!)
- The times my kids play nicely together. (Like diamonds – these moments are rare and far between and that’s why they are so valuable!)
- Time to pray and just be with Jesus.
- Snuggles and smiles from my baby-toddler (when he wasn’t crying/screaming.)
- The four-year-old learning to buckle himself in the car seat all by himself!
- And so, so much more. God has blessed me.
I hope and pray you will find a few moments to reflect and be thankful for all He has blessed you with as well. Enjoy the rest of the week!
P.S. There are still TWO more days to enter in the Hand-made Toy Bag Give-Away! And ANYONE can enter. Even if you are a nearby friend or family member. Share something you are thankful for today in the comments below for another chance to enter.