During Lent this year my husband came up with a crazy idea–give up movies and TV during the week. At first I was not all that excited about this. 1. I didn’t think I was attached enough to those things. 2. Therefore it wouldn’t be that much of a sacrifice. By the end of Lent I found out I was wrong about both, although more about the movies than the TV shows. For the longest time, going downstairs and crashing on the couch in front of the brain-sucking black box machine was the only way to get the baby to go to sleep in the evenings. So I got used to watching TV and almost looked foward to that zoning-out part of the day. I really hate commercials so I flip through our 3-4 basic channels frequently so never end up watching one show all the way through. Every now and then I’d catch a good one like Undercover Boss, or Blue Bloods and I did really like Parenthood but usually I’d get stuck with one of the crime investigation shows—is that really all we can come up with to make shows about anymore–people dying or killing each other (or worse thank you SVU)? And why do the good shows like Raymond and Office reruns start when it’s time to go to bed? Since there aren’t many great options in TV since the good ol’ Lost days, I prefer to watching movies.
So, back to the point, when we gave all that up during Lent it proved more difficult than I thought. I’d like to tell you that I filled that hole of time with prayer and serious spiritual conversation and discussion but while that would be partially true, I have to admit that I spent more of that time thinking about movies that I’ve enjoyed and would want to watch again after Lent was finally over.
So I wrote down a list of movies—not necessarily favorite movies—just any movie that I could remember watching. Even if I didn’t like it, if I could remember it’s name or even the names of the actors or even the directors/producers, I wrote it down on a piece of paper. I planned on sharing that list but when I sat down to do that tonight the list is no where to be found! 🙁 This made me sad because I put a lot of time and thought into the list. So I’ll attempt to recreate it tonight but it will not be the same. Maybe I’ll find it as I work on this since the chances of me actually publishing this on the same night I start it are slim.
Yes, I’m rambling I’ll stop now and just write down whatever movie comes to mind first and then whatever movie pops up next in my mind after that one until I feel like stopping.
- Return to Me
- Donnie Darko
- Life is Beautiful
- The Goonies
- The Neverending Story
- (this made me think of Fragle Rock but that’s not a movie so it doesn’t count)
- 10 things I Hate About You (gagggg!)
- My Best Friends Wedding (I might not be married to my husband if it weren’t for this movie…)
- Dirty Dancing (makes me think of some friends from high school who were obsessed with this movie)
- Eagle Eye
- ok I don’t like this list so I’ll keep going a little longer
- A Beautiful Mind
- Patch Adams
- Fight Club (yes, I watched that)
- Moulin Rouge
- Star Treck (the newest one)
- Lord of the Rings (all)
- Star Wars (all the newest ones mostly)
- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original I watched for the first time with my cousins in Mexico…in English I think?)
- The Lion King (also watched for the first time in Mexico though that was in Spanish)
- Fools Rush In (loved!)
- That one my friend Ryan brought over about the woman dying from ovarian cancer….wow….oh Wit!
- The 6th Sense
- Mission Impossible (I remember the 1st one the best, the second one the worst and the third also was good)
- Bella (I liked the use of light in that movie)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (yes I watched these after my teenage years)
- This unfortunatley made me think of Mama Mia
- Jurasic Park (“clever girl”)
- October Sky
- Panic Room
- What’s that one where she’s on the plane and looses her daughter?
- Far and Away
- Forest Gump
- Baggar Vance
- Pan’s Labryinth
- Inglorious Bastards (shock!)
- The book of Eli
- Inside John Malkovich (I’d rather not admit I watched this but it came to my mind so there it is.)
- Transformers (the first one)
- Reality Bites (no idea how that thought came from Transformers)
- Little Women
- A River Runs Through It
- and…..The Sound of Music
Interesting. These were in no particular order and maybe I’ll go back through and pick out my top 10 favorites out of that list. Another night I’ll go through our netflix watched movies and pick out my top 10 and hopefully share that by the time my movie-obessed friend asks others to share their favorite movie list. Maybe this year I’ll actually have one to share! For now, I hope the above list will suffice to make up for all the years I didn’t.
(hey I actually am going to publish this on the same day I started it…well with 2 minutes to spare!)